Manage your MiWay policy online:

Buildings Insurance

Lightning may not strike twice but once is more than enough, especially if it’s your electrics, gate motor or pool pump that pays the price, and as for flooding, whether by a burst water main or a burst geyser, keeping your head above water when disaster strikes can be tough, unless you’ve got Buildings (Homeowners) Insurance, which is where MiWay comes in.

Why choose MiWay's Buildings Insurance?

  • Competitive premiums
  • Award-winning, awesome service
  • Low flat excess
  • 24/7/365 Household Emergency Assistance
  • Hassle-free claims process
  • Earn rewards, whether you claim or not
  • And get it all online, quick quick!

Why do you need Buildings Insurance?

MiWay’s Buildings Insurance covers the permanent structures on your property as well as all permanent fixtures, fittings and improvements to your property, including your borehole and swimming pool pumps as well as underground pipes and cables.
Buildings Insurance (sometimes called Homeowners Insurance or Houseowners Insurance) covers you for your house in the unfortunate event of:

  • Fire damage due to an electrical short or a lightning strike;
  • Water damage due to a water main burst or a leaking or burst geyser;
  • A damaged gate motor or pool pump due to lightning strike;
  • Loss or damage caused by water supply tanks, cisterns, heating installations and water pumps, which form a permanent part of your building; and
  • Loss or damage of a thatch roof property providing there is a SABS-approved lightning conductor installed on the premises

Definitions of Types of Buildings

Cluster: Stand-alone units in a complex; compared to estates, houses are normally much smaller. Units share communal services including a communal gate. Normally Full Title.

Complex: Houses or apartments sharing a communal entrance, but the entrance is not guarded. Normally sectional title.

Security Complex: Houses or apartments sharing a communal entrance which is manned by a security guard 24/7. Normally sectional title.

Flat above ground level: The unit is part of a block of flats and the unit is not on the ground floor.

Flat on ground level: The unit is part of a block of flats and on the ground floor; typically with a small garden and additional external door.

Retirement Village: Similar to clusters (above) but solely for pensioners.

Golf/Residential/Country Estate: Differs from a complex in that the houses are not as concentrated as in a complex; Some estates even have a supermarket/ clinic/ restaurant inside the estate. Houses are usually bigger than in a complex; normally full title.

Cottage: An apartment attached to the main residence but independent and fully functional; usually with its own living area, kitchen and bathroom. So even though attached to the house, a person can live here without being dependent on the main residence’s bathrooms/kitchen etc.

Garden Cottage: A stand-alone apartment with its own living area, kitchen and bathroom. Differs from a cottage in that it is not attached to the main residence on the same property.